I was born in 1974. I grew up in the 80s, graduating high school in 1992.
Oh the 80's! But that's an entirely other subject....
What I'm talking about today are things I wish my kids could do nowadays that I did when I was a kid.
I'd like to say that I wish they didn't have to sit in car seats or wear bike helmets, because I manged to survive without them, but honestly, those things keep kids safe and that's a good thing.
3. We had lots of family get-togethers. It seems like having parties with kids now can only be for a kid's birthday party. We don't get together, just families, and have fun together much. The adults in my life felt fine with having their fun right along side us kids having our fun. Seems like everyone wants more separation nowadays.
4. I could run around town. Even though there really isn't any more danger to kids these days than there was years ago, we are now afraid to let our kids out of our sight. I guess this is because of the media? I don't know, but we are so worried they will be kidnapped or worse.
5. I could stay out until the street lights came on. My parents knew about where I'd be, but not always specifically. I had more freedom than my kids do.
6. I could go to the bus stop by myself even in Kindergarten. I have to be at the bus stop with AJ when he gets on in the morning, and the driver won't let him off after school if I'm not standing right there.
7. I ate Twinkies. I don't think I've ever given one of my children a Twinkie. I wasn't even sure if they still existed until I found this picture!
8. I was a latch-key kid. I had my own house key and was at home alone after school all the time. Even as early as age 7. No parent does that now. But I was fine. No boogieman ever got me and I never burned the house down.
9. I hardly ever needed help with my homework. Why do my kids always need help? Well actually, just Camryn since AJ hasn't had any homework yet. Is it just that she's got ADD? Is it actually harder? I think some things are harder, but some stuff isn't being taught anymore at all.
What would you add to the list?