I knew I wanted it to have a cute little ruffle bottom edge, that I wanted to do stripes and to use white and purple. And I thought I should try a stitch pattern I hadn't used before. Decided on seed stitch, mostly because it's uber easy. I mean, I was doing something all on my own here, I wanted it to be as easy as possible! Or perhaps I'm just a knitting chicken. That may be it.
Anyhoo....here is how my very first, designed completely by me from the ground up, apron turned out:
I ended up using FOUR different stitch patterns! Crazy? Strange? I prefer to call it quirky and fun.
And now I will share some of how it came to be:
2 balls Lily Sugar’n Cream White
2 balls Lily Sugar’n Cream Hot Purple
(not all is used)
Size 7 circular needles
I worked the body of the apron in seed stitch, the pocket in stockinette, the waist ties in 1x1 ribbing and there is some garter stitch thrown in for good measure!
To view the entire pattern please go to...
Mix Stitch Apron
|Side of pocket|
|Front and back of waist ties|
I had a basic idea of what I wanted this apron to look like, but I pretty much designed it one step at a time. Looking back on it now, I might not choose seed stitch for a piece where I’m changing colors because you can totally see the color changes. But because I did choose seed stitch, I embraced it and decided to continue the theme. Hopefully that’s a good thing. This project would be 10 times easier in a solid color or color change yarn!